Version history for Underrail alpha releases. Complete changelogs are derived from development logs.
- For newer versions, see Version history/Beta.
Alpha 0.1.14.0 (Last alpha version)
|Release Date: 26 March 2015
||Summary: Institute of Tchort, psi and other balance changes, level cap increase, new feats, new items
- New areas/quests
- Institute of Tchort
- New minor locations in Upper and Lower Underrail
- Added components for creating a cryoliquid blob pistol
- Added components for creating an incendiary blob pistol
- Added components for creating a cryoliquid blob trap
- Added components for creating an incendiary blob trap
- Added new firearm enhancements
- Added blueprints for special bullet type for each caliber
- Added shaded visor component that can craft metal helmet that make you immune to blinding effects (flashbang)
- Added two new types of padding foam
- Added infused variants of all leathers which can be obtained in acertain way and can get to very high quality; these leathers all grant various bonuses when used in crafting; the bonuses also vary from blueprint to blueprint
- Added two new fabric types
- Added two new carrier vests
- Added one new ballistic armor plate
- Added one new ballistic panel
- Added one new special metal type
- Added Flashbang blueprint
- Added EMP grenades Mk II and Mk III
- Rathound Regalia mechanical damage reduction changed to 20% (down from 25%) and all heat damage taken while wearing it increased by 100%
- Burrower Burger, Eel Sandwich and Cave Hopper Steak now grant 1 point in their respective stats (down from 2)
- Mushroom Brew no longe affects agility and preception and dexterity penalties changed to -2 (don from -3)
- Consuming Mushroom Brew will now give you an empty bottle
- Shock and incendiary bolts and acid blob traps mk III should no longer appear in shops or as random loot and mk II should now be quite rare
- Healing from regenerative vests buffed; regenerative armors can no longer be recharged during combat
- Finding psionic headband with an enhancement is now rare and you can no longer find one with two enhancements (you'll have to craft it)
- Regular tactical vest visual model updated
- Requirements for various feats re-balanced
- Disassemble - Grants you a blueprint that allows you retrieve some or all components from a disassemble-able items (such as weapons, armors, etc). This works both on the items you made and those you've just found. Existing items in running games will not be dis-assemblable.
- Shroomhead - feat disabled, pending redesign
- Taste for Blood - now also grants a stack whenever you deal a killing blow regardless of whether the target had bleeding wounds or not
- Power Management - changed to now always provide 35% extra energy capacity
- Uncanny Dodge - You now dodge 2 + 1 extra attack per 30 dodge; cooldown changed to 6 turns (up from 3)
- Spec Ops - now correctly only works with SMGs
- Opportunist - now works with throwing knives as well
- Thick Skull - Cannot be stunned, only dazed
- Concentrated Fire - Each hit from from burst attack increases the damage from further burst hits by 10%. Stacks 10 times.
- Commando - Killing an opponent using burst attack will grant you an extra free burst attack that can be performed in the same turn. This can only happen once every turn.
- Pinning - Your throwing knives have 35% chance to pin living targets to the ground for 1 turn.
- Fatal Throw - Throwing knives always critically hit against targets below 25% health. Killing a target with a knife throw will refund 18 action points.
- Split Spare - When throwing knives you throw an extra one at a nearby target that's within the attack cone.
- Ripper - Critical hit damage with knives and throwing knives increased by 1% for each 1% of the target's missing health. Applied multiplicatively to regular critical damage bonus.
- Critical Power - For each 1% of weapon or unarmed critical damage bonus above 100%, you gain an additional 1.5% critical damage bonus
- Expertise - Your non-critical firearm, crossbow, and melee attacks deal additional mechanical damage equal to your level.
- Blitz - Grants you an ability that when invoked will instantly convert all your movement points to action points, granting you 1 action point for each 3 movement points. Cooldown 10 turns.
- Point Shot - Grants you the ability to perform a quick pistol, SMG or assault rifle attack that costs 50% of the standard action point cost but has reduced precision. Cooldown: 1 turn.
- Survival Instincts - Increases the chance to critically hit with weapons, unarmed attacks and psi abilities by 30% while under 30% health.
- Stoicism - You receive 1% less damage from all sources for each 4% health missing.
- Escape Artist - Grants you the ability to remove all immobilization effects. Cooldown: 2 turns.
- Rapid Fire - Fire three bullets from any firearm except the sniper. Chance to hit falls drastically beyond optimal range.
- Juggernaut - Total health increased by 25% while wearing armor with armor penalty of 50% or higher.
- Fast Metabolism - All healing increased by 50% and psi boosters restore extra 25 psi.
- Heavyweight - You add your total armor penalty to the critical damage bonus of sledgehammer, fist weapon and unarmed attacks.
- Super Slam - An attack with a sledgehammer that does normal damage plus 20% of attacker's maximum health. Cooldown: 3 turns.
- Sure Step - You can safely navigate caltrops and puddles of acid.
- Guard - You have 50% chance to block melee mechanical damage equal to twice your strength.
- Deadly Snares - Your crossbow attacks always critically hit against targets caught in bear traps and acidic entanglements.
- Gun Nut - Increases the upper damage range of all firearms you create by 20%.
- Skinner - The quality of leathers counts as if 20% higher in all your crafts.
- Armor Sloping - Reduces the armor penalty originating from metal plates when crafting armor by 35% (multiplicative).
- Clothier - The quality of fabrics counts as if 20% higher in all your crafts.
- Mad Chemist - On-hit effects of chemical pistols you create are twice as strong.
- Weaponsmith - Knives and sledgehammers that you create have 5% higher critical hit chance.
- Practical Physicist - Critical damage bonus of energy weapons you create is increased by 25% (additive).
- Ballistics - Carrier vests give additional 3 mechanical damage threshold when you use them in crafting.
- Neurology - Psi Headbands you create also provide additional 15 maximum psi points.
- Items will no longer get equipped when you double click them while holding ALT or CTRL (so you can rapidly alt-click transfer stuff now)
- Interface will no longer register single clicks as double clicks if they are fired rapidly after a double click
- Fixed the slowdown that occurred when opening quest notes once you've got a lot of notes in there; also fixed weird spacing issues in that window
- Added scroll bar to crafted item view
- You now always fire 2 extra shots with Full Auto feat
- Bipod precision bonus changed to 10% (up from 5%)
- You now have 30% chance to receive the bullet case after firing a bullet (you can use these for crafting)
- Tweaked some on-hit effects so they can now be appropriately mitigated when the damage of the attack that causes them is fully resisted/shielded
- Aluminized cloth now grants immunity to burning when used in armor suit crafting
- Increased the amount of stealth penalty applied by aluminized cloth
- Regenerative vest no longer appears as a component of generated items
- Metal helmets now provide slightly more damage resistance and also provide damage threshold proportionally
- Metal boots now also provide damage threshold proportionally and grant immunity to caltrops
- Stuff made from ancient rathound leather now also grants 5% mechanical damage taken reduction
- High-density padding foam melee protection bonus now scales with component quality
- Tabi boots now increase the chance to get critically hit on the toes
- Super string will no longer appear on generated crossbows
- Leather armors will no longer be generated from leathers better than those naturally occurring
- Mechanical resistance and threshold lowered for certain leather armors
- Max player character level increased to 25
- Base classic kill XP per target level increased slightly
- Crafting requirements for components scaling with quality lowered to 80% of the original value
- Removed composition difficulty from many optional component slots
- Reduced the cost of firing energy pistols (not retroactive, just for new ones)
- NPCs now use EMP grenades; you've been warned
- Increased the range and max range of assault rifles; this will indirectly reduce burst imprecision (not retroactive)
- Warhogs have been buffed
- Dirty Rags now require 10 tailoring (down from 25)
- Recycling stuff made of fabric will now also produce dirty rags
- Pack hunting now also increases attack skill in addition to damage, so rathounds in groups will hit you more easily
- NPCs will no longer attempt to disarm traps that are too hard for them
- NPC suspicion bar now degrades very slowly over time (updated when you re-enter the area)
- Explosive barrel damage increased
- Slightly reduced the number of mutated dogs in Depot A
- Muties and regular dogs no longer respawn in Depot A
- Forcefield cooldown changed to 8 turns (down from 12)
- Plasma Sentry no longer loses the rest of its turn when it switches back into mobile form
- Crawler poison can no longer be refreshed, so having it applied multiple times will no longer delay the stuff
- Reduced the fatigue effect duration after adrenaline expires to adrenaline duration + 1 turn
- Bear trap weight halved
- Toxic Gas grenades now apply "Contaminated" debuff which increases all damage taken
- Visual effects will no longer appear on the invisible imported character during the opening cutscene
- Fixed the problem with the final Arena fight not starting properly
- Fixed the bug that caused some traps to not properly trigger faction hostilities in controlled areas
- You should no longer be able to invoke psi abilities if you're... not human
- You can no longer use Locus of Control while driving, it's just not safe
- Quick Tinkering will now properly mitigate the AP cost of setting traps in combat
- Armor modifiers (such as bonus vs bullets/melee) will now only apply to resistance values of the item with those modifiers instead of globally
- 0% negative armor penalty fixed for realz now (maybe)
- Armor penalty is now correctly called that (instead of 'encumbrance') in combat stats window
- Corrected the bug that caused passive things like cameras to de-stealth you when you perform transgressions in their vicinity
- Fixed the bug that caused the hostilities in Foundry prison to escalate to the entire city even if you killed all the witnesses and erased the footage
- Fixed various minor quest and map bugs
- Game will no longer crash when you return to the secret hideout of a secret organization in a certain place
- The electro room in the Gauntlet crash fixed
- Fixed the bug that caused the level up to cancel without allowing you to restart it when pressing ESC when confirmation dialog appears and then again after that
- Fixed the bug that caused the respawning creatures not to respawn when loading an autosave
- TNT charges will now trigger explosive traps and other similar objects in their blast radius
- Fixed the bug that caused melee special attacks to have their visual and sound effects trigger at the beginning of the animation instead of at the moment of impact
- Arena enemies will no longer turn their shields off before combat like idiots
- Fixed the bug that sometimes caused bandaging to abort if you were right on the minimal health limit
- You can no longer drop things into a standard container without opening it
- You can no longer burst people who are not in the same area. For example, using burst while fighting in arena and bursting people below it, thus being branded a witch and sentenced to death
- Fix the bug that caused Telekinetic Proxy to not clone your abilities if it was positioned just to the side of the target
- Guard at Epione Lab will no attack you after letting you pass in certain situations
- You will now always be able to exit Holloway's dialog
- Other various quest and dialog bugs
|Release Date: ?
||Summary: Balance/bug hotfix patch
- Minimal attack action point cost set to 4 (up from 1)
- Fancy Footwork can no longer raise your movement points higher than twice your normal maximum
- Amount of extra action point granted by Blitz limited to 20
- Telekinetic Punch will now properly daze the target instead of stunning it if it has Thick Skull feat
- Added Flashbang blueprint to Len's store in Junkyard (will appear after next merchandise reset)
- Fixed the tooltips of food effects that have been changed in this update
- Fixed Thermodynamic Destabilization
- Fixed the bug that caused generated combat gloves mechanical enhancements to always have quality of 1 (not retroactive)
- Fixed the bug that caused generated shield emitter enhancements to always have quality of 1 (not retroactive)
- Laser Sight will now correctly increase precision (not retroactive)
- Chance to hit with burst attack can never exceed single shot chance to hit anymore
- Daniel Arda should now properly sell Hercules.
- West Wing hole description
- Mediant Samuel gives proper amount of charons for his first quest
- PI Georgis' refusal to help for a quest now properly fails
- PI Schteff's radio comm properly recognizes where the player is
- Wererathound affliction now correctly increases strength and transformation will now unequip your helmet
- Fixed Free Drones Junkyard quest not starting properly in some cases
- Tchort introduction cut scene should now properly trigger when visiting Institute entrance zone after you complete the Core City quest line. If it does not trigger, that's probably because you've visited the zone previously and the save is broken. See this thread for solution: http://steamcommunity.com/app/250520/discussions/0/618457398973889102/
- Offensive armor modifiers should work again (spiked/bladed armors)
- Several quest notes fixes
- Various minor dialog and map fixes
|Release Date: ?
||Summary: Balance/bug hotfix patch
- Blitz feat and ability description fixed
- Player's damage resistances capped at 95%. Some re-balancing will be done in the final version to prevent certain armors from being too OP, but for now this will at least prevent players from becoming invulnerable to mechanical damage
- Various minor dialog and map fixes
|Release Date: 11 December 2014
||Summary: Portraits, new music, UI tweaks, new factions & questlines, finished most of the remaining areas
- 3 new questlines: Free Drones, Protectorate and a super secret one
- entire Upper Underrail
- Lower Underrail passages
- New misc. locations all over Underrail
- New portraits
- Custom portrait support
- Portrait lighting system: the portraits are lit in the same manner as the characters on the map.
- Combat taunts: Enemies will now threaten and taunt you in combat. Currently all have the same collection of phrases, but we plan to customize these in the future for different characters/factions/locations. We'll be looking for feedback on these - do the taunts occur too frequently/rarely, is there some particular taunt that is repeated too often, etc. Of course, for those who don't like this sort of stuff, it can be disabled in the options.
- Game mechanics
- Added fire and gas mechanics
- Added craftable fire bombs (such as Molotov cocktail) and craftable gas grenades (Toxic Gas Grenade)
- Added larger font options for everything (object labels, tooltips, quest notes, pop-up dialogs, combat log, etc)
- Moved the combat log window slightly so it won't interrupt scrolling anymore
- Added an option to auto-end turn when the player is out of MP and AP
- Added more hotkeys (swap weapons, toggle shield, etc; might add more if necessary) and added keybinding options
- Inspected containers that are empty are now marked as such
- Increased the font in Combat Stats Overview window
- Available component for a given blueprint will now be highlighted in the same manner as when trading
- Double clicking (or ctrl clicking) a component will automatically transfer it to the crafting screen if appropriate blueprint is open
- Clicking a crafting slot will automatically fill it with the first available component if empty, or clear it if full
- ESC/ENTER and other intuitive hotkeys (such as Y/N) will now work inside confirmation boxes
- While holding SHIFT player will now be able to issue move command as to prevent people from accidentally moving when they meant to shoot; keep in mind though that you'll still be able to issue a melee attack command that might require movement even when SHIFT is held
- Crawlers buffed and their AI has been slightly tweaked
- Eviscerate bonus damage per bleeding would changed to 50% (down from 100%)
- Taste For Blood now stacks 10 times (down from 20)
- Damage resistance provided by laminated fabric ballistic panel now scales with quality (though it's still weaker than the other one) and the damage threshold is increased; these changes will not apply to stuff that has already been generated in ongoing playthroughs
- Melee resistance bonus of riot gear armor changed to 75% (up from 50%); also not retroactive
- Maximum number of oddity XP required for leveling now caps at 25 (up from 15)
- Maximum number of studies and/or amount of XP per studying reduced (or rebalanced) for a number of oddities; overall, less experience is available through some oddities now
- Classic XP required to level changed to 1250 (up from 1000) * level
- Base classic kill XP bonus per target level reduced
- XP from a number of quests reduced
- Lockpicking/hacking XP per required skill reduced
- Added signs to aid navigation in Lower Underrail and caves
- Electrobolts will no longer jump to passive objects that are completely immune to them (e.g. destructible rocks)
- You can no longer load individual bullets during combat as stated by the tooltip
- Removed various leathers that were way too high quality for their type from certain stores
- Burst fire will no longer trigger hostilities against secondary targets caught in the burst cone unless they actually take damage
- Arena commentator will no longer order everyone in Core City to kill you if you happen to aim your burst in his general direction
- Creatures immune to fear are no longer immune to Engrage (unless they are immune to all mind-affecting effects)
|Release Date: ?
||Summary: Bug hotfix patch
- Bug hotfix patch
- Teleportation stairs retired
|Release Date: ?
||Summary: Bug hotfix patch
|Release Date: ?
||Summary: Bug hotfix patch
|Release Date: 06 August 2014
||Summary: Core City, new psi abilities, new weapons
- New areas and quests
- New major urban area - Core City
- Added more firearms: one new pistol, one new SMG, two more assault rifles and two more sniper rifles. Also added two new crossbows.
- One model from each of the weapon categories (pistol, SMG, crossbow, etc) will be only available through crafting.
- Tweaked the base stats (damage spread, crit chance, crit bonus, precision, etc) of each of the firearm and crossbow models to diversify them further
- Added throwing knives - they are fairly inexpensive and their damage scales with your throwing skill. While they are unlikely to replace your primary offensive skill, they do act as a nice ranged supplement for high dexterity characters, especially when you use the poisoned ones.
- Added electrical pistols - a type of energy pistol that shoots electrical bolts that stun the primary target and jump a few times (similar to electroshock bolts)
- Added two energy weapon enhancements - only applicable through crafting; one increases the critical damage bonus, while the other increases the special attack damage
- Added 5 new crafting only meds and appropriate organs and chemicals that are needed to produce them
- Added the deadly coil spider
- Added Thermodynamic Destabilization (metathermics) - You tag a creature with a debuff. If you kill it within 2 turns, it will explode, dealing heat and mechanical damage to everything around it. The amount of damage dealt scales with the metathermics skill and the amount of health the creature had when it was tagged
- Added Enrage (Thought Control) - Enrages a living target for up to 4 turns which causes it to turn hostile to everyone.
- Reworked Force Emission (Psychokinesis) - No longer provides extra range, but works with fist weapons as well.
- Added Telekinetic Proxy (Psychokinesis) - Moves the telekinetic proxy from its current location to the specified location, dealing mechanical damage to everything in its path. If the proxy is not present, is too far away, or doesn't have a clear straight line path to the destination, a new one will be spawned. Telekinetic proxy will mimic your single target telekinetic psi abilities and effects (currently Telekinetic Punch and Force Emission) if the target is within its radius. The proxy lasts 3 turns, but the timer refreshes with each move or mimic.
- EMP mine blueprint component requirements changed to be the same to that of the EMP grenade
- Increased the amount of bear traps crafted when not applying poison to 10
- Increased the amount of caltrops crafted when not applying poison to 10
- Reduced the cost of metal plates and, by extension, some items that are crafted from them
- Added an option to turn off automatic door opening
- Removed the cooldown of Burst attack (don't know why it was there in the first place)
- Added countdown timer to TNT charges
- Camp Hathor retouches
- Hopefully finally fixed the bug(s) that caused the factions to get all messed up after the Junkyard showdown event
- Merchants will no longer roam while in bartering mode
- Game will no longer crash when saving while mining
- Chemical pistols have weight now
- Action point counter fixed to work with extreme amounts of action points
- Adrenaline shot will now always properly grant 20 bonus AP
- Execute will no longer deal extra damage even if the target is not stunned/incapacitated
- Fixed the overly heavy boots (will only affect the newly generated/crafted items, the old ones will remain heavy)
- Crawler poison component now correctly named (was "Cave Ear" poison)
- Plot items can no longer vanish when attempting to transfer them to the trading window (oops)
- Opportunity feat now works with wrestling/tacklling (they are considered slows)
- Balaclava repair category changed to fabric
- Armor penalty calculation rounding errors fixed (Nimble feat should now apply properly in all cases)
- Bleeding wounds from boots/armor enhancements will now stack as they should
- Weapons of wheeled bots and turrets now considered firearms so vests should work correctly against them now
- Dirty kick now triggers hostilities as it does in real life
- You can now reload chemical pistol from the quick reload bar like other weapons (cannot unload, that's inteded)
- Combo feat will now properly stack when using armors or boots that provide extra damage
- You can no longer use Expose Weakness to kill The Beast or other stuff that's immune to mechanical damage
- No longer possible to beat up some creatures to the point their "armor" degrades
|Release Date: ?
||Summary: Bug hotfix patch
|Release Date: ?
||Summary: Bug hotfix patch
|Release Date: 16 April 2014
||Summary: Foundry, energy shields, new feats, game world nearby doubled in size, narrative improved
- New areas and quests
- Improved the narrative, quest hub area quality and game world cohesion
- New major urban area - the Foundry
- Added a new minor quest hub in the cave areas south of SGS
- Couple more quests in SGS and Rail Crossing.
- Reworked the order early game quests are received (to avoid sending people to GMS too early)
- Added some early game oddities
- Added new metal type for crafting
- Added taser blueprint so electronics experts can protect themselves from hooligans and stalkers
- Implemented energy shields
- Tabi Boots - lightweight boots that can be crafted from leather or fabric components
- Components (these are all crafting only; that is items made of these cannot be found or bought)
- Siphoner leather
- Psi Beetle armor plate
- Burrower armor plate
- Super secret stuff
- Advanced Health Hypo added
- Balaclava added (+10% cold resist, +5 intimidate, +stealth when crafted out of black cloth or +hear resist when crafted out of aluminized cloth)
- Vile Weaponry - Whenever you cause a bleeding wound with a cold weapon, armor enhancement or trap you also apply infected wound which increases the damage taken from all sources by 10% and reduces healing effects by 25%. Stacks 3 times.
- Expose Weakness - You can preform a special melee attack that deals normal damage and reduces target's mechanical resistance and threshold by 50% if it lands for 2 turns.
- Steadfast Aim - Increases critical hit chance with a pistol by 1% for each base action point required to fire it above 10.
- Spec Ops - Reduces action point cost modifier for burst attack from 300% to 200% when using SMGs. Also reduces cooldown of flashbangs by 1 turn.
- Supressive Fire - Enemies caught in your burst attack cone (regardless of whether they've been shot) have their ranged chance to hit reduced by 10%, action points reduced by 5 and movement points reduced by 10 for 1 turn.
- Quick Tinkering - Grants you an ability that when activated will allow you to arm your next trap instantly, even in combat in which case it will cost no action points.
- Fancy Footwork - When you land a melee attack you gain up to 8 movement points, depending on your armor penalty. This can exceed your movement point maximum.
- Taste for Blood - Whenever you attack a bleeding target with a melee weapon, you increase your melee damage by 5% and reduce action point cost of melee weapons by 0.2 for each bleeding wound the target has. This can stack up to 20 times. Expires after 2 turns if not refreshed.
- Eviscerate - Grants you a special knife attack that removes all bleeding wounds from the target and deals 100% bonus damage for each bleeding wound removed.
- Hypertoxicity - Increases damage done by poisons you apply by 100%.
- Wrestling - When you strike a living target with fist weapon or unarmed attack you have 50% chance to reduce target's movement points by 8, action points by 3 and chance to hit with all ranged weapons by 7%. Stacks 5 times.
- Combo - If you land three consecutive damage dealing unarmed or fist weapon attacks against a single target in a single turn, the third attack will deal 100% bonus damage and stun the target for 1 turn.
- Pack Rathound - Increases carry capacity by 50.
- Last Stand - Grants you an ability that when activated it will temporarily reset your health to your maximum for 2 turns. After the effect expires, your health will be reduced to 1.
- Salesman - Increases the amount of goods merchants will buy from you by 1% per mercantile skill.
- Tranquility - changed the AP reduction to 5 (down from 10)
- Dirty Kick - now works regardless of the current weapon, the damage is equal to 200% of unarmed damage
- Premeditation - now also reduces AP cost of the next psi ability buy 100%
- Psychosis - psi cost increment changed to 20% (up from 10%)
- Tranquility - reworked: now reduces AP cost of all psi abilities by 10 while the invoker is at full health
- Cerebral Trauma - reworked: now increases Neural Overload damage by 25% (up from 20%) and burns 15% of the target's max psi points when Neural Overload lands
- Force User - now increases Telekinetic Punch damage by 100% (up from 20%) and Force Field duration by 2 turns (up from 1)
- Lightning Punches - now works with fist weapons as well
- Pyromaniac - doubled the chance it will trigger across the board and the exact chance is now shown for each individual psi ability; also the bonus damage has been increased to 100% (up from 80%)
- Crippling Strike - damage increased to 150% (up from 125%) and it no longer costs additional action points, but has 1 turn cooldown
- Grenadier - now reduces standard grenade cooldown by 2 turns (up from 1) and special grenade cooldown by 3 turns (up from 2)
- Hypothermia - now reduces constitution by 1 (down from 2) and stacks up to 5 times (up from 3)
- Thermodinamicity - instead of psi cost, now reduces action point cost by 50%
- Evasive Maneuvers - now grants evasion equal to three times your movement points (up from x2)
- Uncanny Dodge - now allows you to dodge next three melee attacks instead of just one, but cooldown is increased to 3 turns (up from 2)
- Improved item management mechanics by adding sort button to containers and "transfer all" button to player inventory that can be used to transfer all the items to the currently opened container.
- Throwing nets made more useful now (no longer completely ineffective against opponents with decent or higher strength).
- Carrier vests made more common as loot/merchandise.
- Reduced the damage scaling of bilocation, neural overload, cryokinesis and electrokinesis. These abilities should be roughly the same power early game as they were before, but the idea is to prevent them from scaling out of control mid-late game. Also keep in mind that with all the buffs to psi-related feats they might end up even stronger than the last patch so further balancing might be required.
- Completely most quests in oddity mode now grants some (usually small: 1-3) amount of XP. This should make completing quests feel more rewarding (especially those quests that don't involve exploration) without significantly affecting the XP balance in this mode.
- Reduced electronic crafting requirements for galvanic vests
- Increased drops rates for all types of carrier vests
- Boots now require a pair of rubber soles to craft
- Increased the block chance of riot gear shields to 30% (up from 20%)
- Firearm ammo weight now varies depending on caliber
- Indirect damage no longer removes incapacitation (e.g. poison)
- Electroshock primary target damage, pneumatic hit damage and force emission hit damage no longer remove incapacitation in order to better synergies with Cheap Shot feat
- Minimal hit chance for melee and ranged attacks is now 10% (down from 20%)
- Increased the amount of item categories most merchants will buy per reset, included the missing categories and also changed certain categories to always be included for specialized merchants (not in the unlimited amount though)
- Added more psi boosters to early areas to ease up the early game for psi characters who need those rather than bullets
- Telekinetic Punch, tazing and pneumatic strike are now resisted through fortitude, instead of resolve
- Melee skill now scales up with either Strength or Dexterity, whichever is higher
- Boot springs now reduce stealth (will add stealth speedy boots later)
- Aluminized cloth heat resistance increased and crafting requirements changed to 1 per quality (down from 1.5)
- Bug fixes
- Fixed the bug with certain secret monoliths not recognizing character's psi empathy
- Increased the bear trap triggering radius so characters cannot pass in between two adjacent traps
- Fixed the bug that caused the game to crash when attempting to set up the fishing rod on certain spots
- TNT charges will now go off properly after loading a game in which it's been already set
- Doppelgangers should now properly ignore target's resistances with their attacks
- Fixed a very serious bug that caused ranged attacks to mostly ignore evasion rating of the target. Evasion should have much the same effect in avoiding ranged attack as dodge has for melee attacks. This will definitively affect the game's balance, both by increasing the difficulty of high evasion enemies and by buffing agility based player characters, so I'll be keeping an eye on it.
|Release Date: ?
||Summary: Bug hotfix patch
|Release Date: 16 January 2014
||Summary: Rail Crossing, Lower Underrail expanded, Oddity XP System, Game economy changes, introduced item weights and trader limits.
- Added alternative XP System (Oddity)
- Added difficulty setting (easy/normal)
- Game economy changes
- Added item weight
- Added Initiative
- Added some more Lower Underrail areas
- Added electrical knives (same crafting mechanics like with sledgehammers and gloves)
- Added more belts (belts have fixed stats and are not craftable)
- Added bear trap - a cheap early game trap that deals mechanical damage, roots the target and inflicts a bleeding wound; like caltrops, it can be envenomed
- Added serrated crossbow bolt that deals additional 100% of original damage dealt through a bleeding wound over 3 turns, but incurs even greater damage threshold penalty than a regular bolt
- Weapons can now have varying base critical damage bonuses (for now only depending on the weapon base type, but in the future modifiable through enhancements)
- Added the faceless troops (tunnelers, augmented rathounds, centaurs, faceless)
- Added a confirmation box when changing video settings
- Added an option to scroll with mouse while holding the right button
- Added an option to lock the mouse to screen in fullscreen mode (doesn't work perfectly though, sorry)
- You can double click on your (non-existing) portrait to center back to your character
- Game window will no longer process input while inactive
- Character level is now displayed on portraits
- Shroomhead feat now restores 15 psi points each time you pick a mindshroom
- Reduced base trap arming time to 7 seconds
- Reduced the range at which the traps trigger when you step into their tile (should be more consistent with visual collision now)
- Players will receive better armor at the start
- Added more meds, ammo and such to the starting areas
- Reduced explosive barrel health to 1
- AP cost of using light weapons (knives, pistols, SMGs or fist weapons) or unarmed attacks is reduced by 4% for every dexterity point above 5. This is very much subject to change depending on how it works out. I want to make high dexterity builds feel more rewarding and this is just the first step.
- Dogs now have 50% chance to apply Tackle effect on hit (down from 100%)
- Skill requirements for recycling items reduced
- Item durability increased, particularly for higher level items. This will make it less profitable (hopefully not profitable in most cases) to repair them for sole purpose of selling them. Also, crafters will be able to recycle them for more scraps them previously since the amount of scraps gained is based on current and max durability of an item. Rate of item degradation should remain about the same
- Mark 2 repair kits now fix 500 durability points (up from 400). Cost increased accordingly; repair kit crafting requirements and components remain the same
- Durability span of items looted from slain enemies increased to 5%-50% (up from 5%-20%)
- Bandits in the "package delivery quest" nerfed
- Minimal stealth requirements (below which player is automatically spotted) reduced
- Increased the amount of special ammo that can be found as loot
- Reduced the cost of ampules and syringes
- Reduced the amount of explosive required to craft traps (it's now same as grenade recipe)
- Increased chemistry requirements of Hexogen explosive to 50 (up from 22). Secondary explosives difficulty modifier in grenade and mine blueprint increased to 125% (up from 100%). Mark 3 grenades/mines are now crafted from 1 hexogen and mark 2 are crafted from 2 x TNT instead of vice versa. Reasoning behind these changes is that crafting high level explosives was way too easy and allowed you to obtain grenades that were meant to be used against level 20 enemies as soon as level 7 if not earlier.
- Player character will no longer obscure targets behind them when issuing offensive commands (such as attacking or invoking offensive abilities)
- Exporting a character while trading window is open will no longer crash the game
- Save/load window will no longer lose focus after deletion confirmation pop-up
- Fixed the bug that would cause optional components to give different crafting requirements depending on order they are placed in
- Galvanic vest added to random loot table (and hence the stores too)
- Added missing female riot gear spritesheets (sorry ladies)
- Fixed the bug that would cause the old man in GMS level 3 to repeatedly initiate dialog with you
- Fixed the bug in Abram's questline where you could give Garren information you didn't actually receive
- AP should now correctly be deducted when stacking up utility items during combat
- Added transition error log; it will be generated in Documents\My Games\Underrail every time there's a transition error. This should help us pinpoint any remaining transition problems
- Removed Media Player requirement by popular demand (you will no longer have to have media player windows feature installed in the next version of the game)
|Release Date: ?
||Summary: Bug hotfix patch
|Release Date: 29 August 2013
||Summary: Lower Underrail expanded, Riot Gear, Combat Gloves, Psionic Headbands
- Use more special attacks: kneecap shot, pummel, crippling strike, execute, heavy punch, dirty kick
- Use "yell" special ability
- Use more drugs: adrenaline, morphine
- Throw grenades: frag, HE and flashbang
- Use more special bolts: acid, shock, incendiary
- Use offensive and utility psi abilities
- Kite their target (like psi beetles do)
- Added TNT explosive charge that can be used to clear rocks. Many passages still don't lead anywhere even if you clear them just so you know though
- New item: Combat Gloves
- Added Psionic Headbands
- New armor type: Riot Gear
- Added more lens types for goggles (+crit chance, +special attack damage, +detection)
- Reduced the damage of electrokinesis (it will still do more damage than pyrokinesis against smaller number of targets, but less single target damage other single target nukes)
- Changed the way shock sledgehammer is made, will now require a power core
- Junkyard surprise nerfed (+1/2 to a stat, -1/2 to a stat) and made consumable on use
- Increased duration of thermodynamicity to 2 turns
- It's no longer possible to refresh the duration of stun, fear and short-circuit effects
- Damage from spikes and blades from boots and armor should now apply on special attacks
- Repairing broken equipment while worn or getting the worn equipment broken will now always correctly update armor and special effects penalties
- Reduced damage of spikes and blades when mounted on a metal armor suit, but increased their damage when mounted on boots
- Fixed spikes of doom bug
- Fixed the scaling of Bilocation psi ability
- Fixed bunch of spelling errors
Alpha 0.1.9.1 (First Steam version)
|Release Date: 23 September 2013
||Summary: Steam integration, achievements (The first version available on Steam)
- Steam integration
- TNT blueprint will no longer consume excess components
- Tungsten steel boots icons added
- New lens types will now be correctly generated with quality
- Crafting window will now remember what blueprint you had selected when you last closed it
|Release Date: 07 May 2013
||Summary: New pickpocketing system, new feats
- Heavy Punch - Unarmed attack that deals 200% for 250% AP
- Bone Breaker - Critical hits from your blunt melee attacks break ribs if they deal at least 4% of target's maximal health through mechanical damage. Targets with broken ribs receive additional 25% mechanical damage from all sources. This effect stacks up 2 times.
- Cheap Shots - Increases critical damage bonus of your melee attacks by 50% and gives your unarmed attacks 15% chance to incapacitate the target for 1 turn.
- Paranoia - Detection increased by 20% and chance to get critically hit reduced by 3%. Also your weapon damage is increased by 20% against stealthed targets (will be useful at one point).
- Uncanny Dodge - Grants you an ability that when activated will cause you to dodge the next regular or special melee attack targeted against you.
- Evasive Maneuvers - Converts all remaining movement points into twice the evasion for 2 turns.
- Grenadier - Reduces the cooldown of fragmentation and high explosive greandes by 1 turn and special grenades by 2 turns.
- Three-Pointer - Gives your damage dealing grenades 10% chance to critically hit. This chance is increased by 2% for each point in dexterity above 7.
- Trap Expert - Reduces time required to arm traps by 70% and increases the detection difficulty of the traps you set by 25%.
- Burglar - Reduces the time it takes to pick and hack locks by 75%, but also add +10 bonus to stealth when in controlled areas
- Nimble - Reduces encumbrance by 15%, but also grants 15% bonus to dodge and evasion when on zero encumbrance
- Ninja Looter - Reduces pickpocketing time by 50% and also reduces suspicion raised when pickpocketing by 25% when hidden from the target
- Conditioning - Increased the damage reduction to 10% + 1% per constitution above 5, but also added requirement of having at least 5 points in constitution
- Opportunist - Upped the damage bonus agains slowed targets to 20% (up from 15%)
- Recklessness - Grants 10% increased critical chance with all weapons, but also increases the chance of you getting critically hit by 3% (up from 3%/2% I think)
- Yell - Reduces enemy offensive skills by 35% of your intimidation skill (up from 25% I think)
- Snipe - Increased the base damage bonus from 100% to 125%
- Pyrokinetic Stream (metathermics) - Creates a stream of fire towards the targeted location, damaging everything in its path for X heat damage every tick. The stream lasts for three ticks plus an additional tick for every 10 spare action and psi points remaining after the initial invocation.
- Electrokinesis (psychokinesis) - Deals X electrical damage to the primary target and stuns it for 1 turn before jumping to a nearby target. It can jump up to four times, but the damage decreases by 15% of the original amount with every jump. It can strike the same target multiple times, but it needs at least two targets to jump between. Only the primary target is stunned.
- Bilocation (thought control) - Creates a doppelganger of a human target bent on their destruction. The doppelganger is immune to all physical attacks and deals X mental damage that bypasses all shields and resistances. Last for 4 turns.
- Mental Breakdown (thought control) - Incapacitates the target for up to 3 turns and reduces its resolve by 50%. If a detrimental thought control psi ability is invoked against the target during this period it will have double the effect, but will end the mental breakdown.
- Game generates a crash log now in Documents\My Games\Underrail folder when it crashes.
- Increased the amount of health hypos, bandages and ammo the player receives at the start of the game. Player can also find a mechanical repair kit in its room at the start.
- Reduced weapon degradation significantly. The starting pistol should now be good for over 100 shots
- Melee weapons no longer degrade on missed attacks
- Reduced the cost of energy pistols
- Dexterity now increases critical chance of melee attacks by 1% for each point above 5
- Added "Already known" label to blueprints you... already know
- Added more items to the SGS commoners to be stolen!
- Reduced the pickpocketing cooldown to 5 seconds (down from 10)
- No longer possible to place the fishing rod on top of yourself
- Game will no longer crash when attempting to disarm triggered traps
- Game should work properly with windows on-screen keyboard now
- Junkayrd gambling house staff and nearby Black Eels will no longer turn hostile after the attack on Scrappers
- Fixed the game crashing when loading 0.1.6.0 saves. It's still not recommended to play the old saves, but it shouldn't crash now hopefully.
- Fixed the problems with Cliff's quest when he would die at inopportune times
|Release Date: 22 March 2013
||Summary: Game economy changes, introduced item durability.
- More quests added to Junkyard areas
- Two new mini dungeons added
- Added a couple of new areas, a couple of new quests and a mini-dungeon with burrowers in it.
- Introduced item durability for weapons and armor pieces (helmet, torso armor and boots).
- Toned down item degradation a bit
- Melee weapons no longer degrade faster than ranged weapons
- Reduced the base merchant price modifier from 425% to 350% to better suit the other changes to the economy; so basically everything will be a bit cheaper
- Reduced the amount of loot significantly (mainly from dungeon areas and lightly guarded urban areas)
- Wheeled bots and turrets leave loot now (ammo, scraps and sometimes more valuable things)
- Reduce leather drop chances across the board
- Reduced the value multiplier for certain crafted items (e.g. leather armor) in relation to their components; purchasing components from vendors and crafting them into finished items and reselling them should not be profitable (this would either force me to reduce the amount of components the merchants have or to reduce the restocking frequency and I don't want to do either); finding components and crafting them into items before selling them is profitable
- Increased the cost of special bolts
- Item cost penalty based on durability changed from linear function to power function; meaning that lower less and less durability and item has, the faster its value drops
- Psi boosters now cost 5 mindshrooms to make
- Increased deterioration rate of melee weapons by 50% to somewhat balance out them not requiring ammo
- Game balance
- Change the mutants and mutated dog health up, down and all around; can't tell if it's more or less than what it used to be but it's balanced now I think
- NPC natural dodge/evasion changed to 1 per level
- Off-balanced, stunned, frozen and incapacitated enemies have their dodge and evasion reduced to zero
- Rooted enemies have their evasion reduced to zero
- Increased the damage of crippling strike and reduced the AP cost
- Critical crippling strike applies 2 stacks of the debuff
- Restored health modifier to all commoners to 100% (up from 50%/80%)
- Reduced the amount of skill points the player gets (-15 at the start, -5 per level)
- Added activation cost to night vision goggles
- Increased value of distance factor when calculating weapon to-hit chance
- Weapon precision penalties (melee, on move) will now correctly be deducted at the end of to-hit chance calculation (it's no longer possible to mitigate these penalties through skill)
- NPCs now have natural dodge and evasion bonus equal to twice their level (factor subject to change pending testing)
- Reduced damage of shock, incendiary and acid bolts across the board; they should still be good but won't 2-shot most things in the game anymore
- Precision bonus with special bolts removed from Marksman feat
- Increased Pyrokinesis cooldown to 3 turns (up from 2) and reduced damage slightly
- Premeditation now reduces the cost of your next psi ability by 50% instead of 100%
- Increased the health of Mutated humans and restored them their normal movement points (was too easy to kite them)
- Mutated human's AI tweaked to correctly use acid spray even when close to player if something is preventing them from engaging in melee
- Increased mutant dog health
- Resist chance calculations for everything (stun, entangle, etc) was previously bugged and couldn't drop below 20% no matter how powerful the attack/ability was and how bad the defense was. Also capped all resist chance at 65% (down from 80%), might change pending testing.
- Reduced Neural Overload the damage that can be mitigated through resolve. It's also capped at ~40%.
- Increased base psionic power of psi beetles and their synergy bonus; also their armor and health a bit (hopefully I get to watch them actually kill someone now)
- Added some acid resistance to wheeled bots and turrets
- Change trap detection mechanics to favor players investing in Traps skill in addition to having good perception; traps are also not revealed automatically if you beat the skill check but instead have a chance to be revealed every "tick" in real time / end of turn in turn-based mode; this will make traps a bit more dangerous than they are now for all characters
- Changed stealth detection indicator colors for NPCs again: slowly fading in-and-out silver eye again means true-seeing again, while slowly fading in-and-out red eye means "stealth too low to hide from this NPC"; should be more intutive this way.
- You can no longer set traps, disarm traps, lockpick or hack in turn-based mode
- Game mechanics
- Caltrops have a chance to miss the targeted tile in the same way the granades do
- Grenades and pyrokinesis will now deal their full damage near the center of the detonation and less and less damage the further you move from it. Something like this was already in place with frag grenade shrapnel (you'd get hit with more shrapnel the closer you are to the detonation), but now it affects all grenade damage
- Pyrokinesis has a chance to miss the targeted tile in the same way as grenade do; the targeting precision is derived from metathermics skill
- "Grenades" skill renamed to "Throwing". It will now be used when calculating precision of all throwing actions (such as tossing flares and using throwing nets).
- Grenade cooldown no longer decreases with skill. A cooldown reduction feat will probably be introduced in the future.
- Grenade range no longer increases with skill.
- Throwing precision now increases with skill and decreases with throwing distance. The less precise you throw the farther the grenade will land from the targeted location (up to 3 tiles away).
- Disabled Trade button when nothing is set to be traded
- Turn-based combat path visualization should now work properly in all cases
- When placing traps with AoE effect, their range will also be displayed; this should make it easier for players to prevent chaining their own traps and blowing themselves up Wile E. Coyote style.
- Toggling between all feats and only available ones should now correctly update the scroll bar
- Added more mutated dogs to Old Junkyard because why not
- Player now leaves a corpse after dying instead of turning into a backpack
- Bug fixes
- High-density foam padding price now scales with quality and quality is also made relevant in all its crafting recipes
- Fixed Telekinetic Punch to scale off of Psychokinesis instead of Metathermics
- Fixed the bug that caused players to die during transition and return as vengeful undead if they transitioned in turn-based mode with a damage over time effect that is about to kill them
- Fixed lightning in some areas (GMS, Elwood's house)
- Killing someone in a single turn will now correctly propagate hostilities to their nearby friends
|Release Date: 13 January 2013
||Summary: Creature/plant respawning + trader stock resets, new blueprints, changed lockpicking/hacking mechanics.
- Added creature respawning. Creatures in most places will respawn every two hours. Some bandits will also respawn, but most of the human enemies in the current areas will not respawn (since it wouldn't make sense in the context of these areas).
- Merchants will now refresh their inventories every 90 minutes.
- Reduced the frequency of base stat point gain. Player character will now gain an extra base stat point every four levels, instead of every two.
- Fixed the problem with indirect kills not giving the player XP - all damage over time effects, ground effects and explosive barrels will now properly credit the player with XP.
- Experience gains are now calculated against character's "potential level" which takes into account all XP gained to that point even if you stayed off leveling up.
- Opening and closing doors in combat now cost 25 action points (up from 10) so no more open-shoot-close tactics!
- Locked doors and containers will now display the difficulty rating on attempted use. Lockpicks and haxxors will display the max. lock difficulty they can handle in hands of the player character.
- SGS merchants will now accept stygian coins (charons).
- Changed the "Extract Toxin" blueprint into "Extract Humour". It can now be used to extract various bodily fluids from organs of dead animals
- Creatures will now drop organs when killed.
- Added health hypo blueprint.
- Added adrenaline shot blueprint.
- Added chemical blob trap blueprint.
- Added acid bolts to chemical bolt blueprint.
- Added caltrops blueprint.
- Added plasma pistol.
- Added Morphine Shot.
- Added export/import character options
- Added an option to autosave on transitions.
- Game balance and mechanics
- Changed the way the lockpicks and haxxors work.
- Lockpicks are now spent on successful lockpicking, so they work as a resource. They have distinct power levels and icons (+0, +5, +10) and are stackable.
- Haxxors work similarly like they did before, but also have distinct power levels and icons and require energy (batteries) to use.
- Added blueprint for chemical pistols.
- Added "Chemical Ammo" blueprint to accompany this.
Alpha 0.1.5.0 (First alpha funding version)
|Release Date: 06 December 2012
||Summary: Junkyard, Depot A, Traps skill, new items, new feats. (Initial alpha funding release on Desura and GamersGate)
- Huge new urban zone consisting of 8 areas
- Big new 'dungeon' consisting of 6 areas (twice as much as the last one)
- A couple of 'mini-dungeons'
- New quests
- New Skill: Traps
- Updated crossbows (feats, increased base damage of crossbows, added two multi-target special bolts)
- Added zone control
- Various other smaller stuff
- One new model of each firearm type: pistol, SMG, assault and sniper rifle
- One new crossbow type
- Knives and sledgehammers made of tungsten steel
- Tungsteen steel armor
- Regenerative vest that slowly restores health but consumes energy (can be used in creation of tactical vests or steel armors)
- Acid resistant leather armor (this will be useful in the upcoming dungeon)
- Added food
- Pummel - sledgehammer attack that takes the target off balance, negating dodge and evasion for 2 turns
- Crippling Strike - unarmed or knife attack that deals 125% damage and reduces target's strength by 2 (stacks 3 times).
- Dirty Kick - Unarmed attack that deals damage and stuns the target for 1 turn (double that if the target is human male)
- Hit and Run - After you kill an enemy, your movement points are restored to 25 (or your maximum, whichever is lower)
- Yell - You attempt to reduce offensive skills (guns, corssbows, melee and grenades skills) of all surrounding enemies by 20% of your intimidation skill
- Shroomhead - You regenerate psi points in presence of mindshrooms when below 35% of your maximum psi
- Game balance and mechanics
- Changed a bit how stealth works.
- Added a notification when you bump into other characters and fall out of stealth for that reason.
- Increased health scaling with levels, for both the player and non-player characters.
- Doubled the psi point pool as well as psi restoration from psi boosters.
- Significantly increased base damage multiplier of snipe ability.
- Buying prices are much higher than selling prices now so you won't be able to get rich quickly anymore; this also make mercantile more useful
- Ammunition and some other resources are more expensive and scarce now
- You cannot start combat immediately after transitioning into another area (5 second cooldown added); this should prevent most of the transition exploits
- Critical hits are better distinguished in the scrolling combat text
- Batteries now restore more energy, but are also more expensive
- When attacking a passive object in real time the attack will stop after a single hit (no more auto-attacking)
- Added more blueprints as static (non-random) merchant inventory
- Improved some quest text to be more specific (number of outposts, barracks location, shooting practice)
- Player movement speed slightly increased
- Grenade damage increased
- Flashbang duration increased to 2 turns
- Enemy remains are now visible through walls at all times (don't have to hold down TAB or Z); this should also prevent them from being stuck behind a door or other usables
- Added inventory sorting (merchant inventories are sorted now as well)
- Added more item filtering categories
- Items are unbound from action bar when they are all used up, dropped and such
- Help option will now blink until you open it (so many people missed it completely)
- Dragging items/ability off the action bar is made a bit less sensitive now so you shouldn't have that much trouble clicking abilities while the action is unlocked
- A number of abilities are automatically bound to your action bar at the start of the game
- When you mouse over an equippable item in your inventory it will highlight the slots in which the item can be equipped (this should help with the special bolts confusion among other things)
- You can double click items to equip them / put them into the trading window
- When mousing over an item you wish to purchase it will show the purchase value instead of the nominal value
- Only currency will be used during auto trading
- Auto trading will no longer try to trade currency for currency
- Bug fixes
- Saves and user configuration are now stored in Documents\My Games\Underrail so the game will no longer require admin privileges to run
- Saving while transitioning out of SGS into the caves will no longer get you stuck between the two gates
- Killing the sentry near the Mushroom Cove will no longer mess up the factions
- Attacking SGS sentry bots will no longer mess up the faction and turn your own electroshock sledgehammer against you (it was dealing electrical damage on hit to you as well)
- You no longer remain in stealth after attacking a camera or other passive object
- Item duplication bug fixed
- Rathound Alphas should now properly use their Rend ability
- Lockpicking is no longer instant with Burglar feat, but this feat has been improved to reduce lockpicking and hacking times by 75% (up from 50%)
- You can now power up outposts in the caves after turning in the quests
- You can no longer acquire the Sprint ability without picking the feat
- Reloading from quick reload bar will now load up the weapon with as much ammo as you have regardless of how it's split in the inventory
- No more blue flashes on saving the game
- Removed "computer skill" references
- Path estimation in turn-based combat should now be drawn properly in all cases
- Minor AI bugs
- Other minor map bugs
Alpha 0.1.4 (Free alpha demo)
- For older versions, see Version history/Pre-alpha.