Institute of Tchort
|Institute of Tchort|
An esoteric sciento-religous community.
|Music||Halls of the Learned|
|Located in||Upper Underrail|
|Connections||Upper Underrail (University station)|
Upper Underrail (Hole in west wing)
|Fast Travel||Upper Underrail metro (station)|
Rift (station underpassage)
|NPCs||Eidein, Mediant Samuel, PI Schteff, PI Georgis, PI Rista, Episkopos Lydia, Efreitor Denzil, Praepostor Amelia, Rassophore Payam, Provost Vladan, Judicator Azarias|
The Institute of Tchort is a location in Upper Underrail, accessible via the orange metro line's University station.
- This section needs expansion.
The institute used to be a Biocorp University, but it has been expanded and renovated considerably in the past decade of Tchortist occupation.
At the courtyard, there's a very diverse crowd of zoners seeking admission into the Institute.
- The Frowning Man carries a Coretech Pamphlet oddity, 3 XP.
- All tchortists carry an Eye of Tchort oddity, 3 XP
- Efreitor Denzil is the starting point of a quest line (starting with Return the Reaching Man) that will grant you access to the institute
- Praepostor Amelia (during your interview)
- Rassophore Payam will open the door of the institute at your request
- Other minor characters are Daphne, What, Detritus, Cale. Some of them can provide valuable information to understand what the tchortists are.
The north upper section of the Institute contains the offices.
- The large northwest office is Eidein's
- Along the south hallway, between the staircases:
- Along the north hallway:
Upper east wing houses the investigation department's science laboratories, lecture halls and preservation department's armory.
Lower east wing houses the sleeping quarters and medical office.
The armory is located between east wing and offices. Take the stairs up west of the fountain at east wing main hall or take the eastern stairs down from offices. Mediant Samuel is the highest-ranking preservation officer in the Institute while the Harmost is visiting Deep Caverns. Efreitor Hanna is the local armory keeper.
The physics laboratory is at the north end of east wing. Schteff is the principal investigator of this section. Investigator Kiro is an electronics merchant whose services you can use if you get permission from the principal investigator.
The chemistry laboratory is at the east end of east wing. Georgis is the principal investigator of this section. Octavia is a chemical merchant whose services you can use if you get permission from the principal investigator.
The genetics laboratory is at the south end of east wing. Rista is the principal investigator of this section. Investigator Vuk is a biology merchant whose services you can use if you get permission from the principal investigator.
The halls are mostly quiet and empty. You can meet Percival from Core City here.
Sleeping quarters 1
- Linked to the Main Hall and Sleeping quarters 2
- The 4 doors on the west side each require 70 Lockpicking to open
Sleeping quarters 2
Your bunk bed and also the Institute's medical office is located here.
- Linked to Sleeping quarters 1
- Your footlocker contains a Robe and an Eye of Tchort (oddity), 3 XP
- The two southwest rooms each require 70 Lockpicking
- The main bunkroom
- The medical are to the south:
Upper west wing houses the library. Most of the west wing is abandoned.
Lower east wing houses the refectory and entrance to utility section.
The Institute's library dates back to a century, back when the Institute still was a Biocorp University. It has been expanded considerably since. Curator Nenna can be met in the library.
The Library Terminal contains The Original Report, Important Dates (an overview of the Institute's notable events), Investigative Papers and Digital Literature. The Investigative Papers section contains Super Steel Refining Data and Blueprint: Regenerative Mixture, but to acquire them the player has to either have enough Hacking (100), pickpocket (53) the Library Propagator Card (Institute of Tchort) from the Tchortist Acolyte nearby or persuade (100) Curator Nenna to grant you access. The Digital Literature section of the Library Terminal contains references to literary works and movies.
- Mound - Dune
- Call of Evolution - Call of Cthulhu
- The Evdok Heresy - The Horus Heresy
- Surface Troopers - Starship Troopers
- Archon of the Genes - Lord of the Rings
- Brave New Zone - Brave New World
- Spirit of the Carapace - Ghost in the ShellVerify
- Foreigner - Alien
The refectory is the Institute's canteen and kitchen.
- Linked to the Main Hall
- Theodore sells food here (but only from the other side of the counter)
- Most Tchortists carry an Eye of Tchort (oddity), 3 XP
Utility section 1
- Linked to the Refectory northern passage
- The south room:
Utility section 2
The utility section is accessible from refectory kitchen, and with an elevator in Eidein's office.
- Linked to the Refectory kitchen
- The SE room:
- The NE room:
A part of the utility section is forbidden even to most Tchortists. It is possible to sneak in using the hidden ventilation shaft in west wing.
Genetic experiments are conducted in this forbidden laboratory, where some of the resulting creatures (called "rejects" by Tchortists) are detained. They can be freed by hacking the computer in the cells corridor (50 hacking skill needed), or by finding a key card on one of the scientists in another room.
Once the doors are open, rejects need to be directed to the hidden ventilation shaft by talking to the elder, named Sharp, and also mentioning the hole in the west wing as a possible escape route. Once the rejects are moving, they will be attacked on sight by any Tchortist guard, which prevents there escape.
It is possible to allow them to escape without revealing yourself to the Tchortists by creating a diversion. West of the cells is another ventilation shaft that leads north to another location in the same zone. Throwing a grenade there, or using a TNT charge, then sprinting back through the shaft to signal the rejects to move should give them just enough time to escape while the guards are investigating the explosion noise. On the other hand, attacking the guards, even stealthily, will turn all Tchortists hostile, since this is a controlled area. There is no quest associated to the rejects, and once they escaped they can't be seen ever again.
- Return the Reaching Man and Praepostor interview: Required to gain entrance to the Institute
- Strange tremors: Eventually strange tremors start shaking the Institute
While at the Institute, you may work for both the preservation and investigation departments.
Mediant Samuel's jobs
Completing all of Mediant Samuel's tasks allows you to join the preservation section as a Rassophore. Joining the preservation section will grant both Tchortist Vathosphore Armor and Tchortist Rassophore Armor. To receive the armors speak with Efreitor Hanna.
Physics lab (Principal Investigator Schteff)
Chemistry lab (Principal Investigator Georgis)
Genetics lab (Principal Investigator Rista)
Completing six tasks for the investigation section allows you to join the investigation section. Joining the investigation section will grant a belt according to the department you choose:
- Bioinvestigative Belt - Department of Genetics
- Chemoinvestigative Belt - Department of Chemistry
- Electroinvestigative Belt - Department of Physics
Entrance and offices
Most of the west wing is ruined and has been sealed off for decades.